Vampire Weekend’s first two albums definitely made big splashes in indie, and eventually pop-culture. They made the cover of Spin magazine before their first official release, and gathered a ton of buzz right from the start. While the previous two albums have a lot going for them, Modern Vampires of the City could be [...]
Even after four Deerhunter albums, it’s hard to claim that you know exactly what their next effort is going to sound like. And on Monomania, Deerhunter’s fifth album, that rings true again. After the huge success of their last album, Halcyon Digest, Deerhunter drops the electronic aspects and returns to their roots for a raw [...]
Junip’s sophomore, self-titled album is every adjective that you have come to expect from a Jose Gonzalez project: relaxing, laid-back, peaceful, quiet. While this is far from a bad thing, Junip never seems to be able to rise above these descriptors and become more than easy to listen to background music. That being said, [...]
It’s not very often that a band can burst into the American popular consciousness with their fourth studio album, but Phoenix is an exception to this theory. While previously popular in Europe, Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix, the band’s fourth album, gave them almost instant success and airplay in the United States. Hits like “Listomania” and “1901″ [...]
In 2006, So-Cal band Cold War Kids released their debut LP Robbers and Cowards, an album whose pop driven instrumentals created an unlikely home for lead vocal Nathan Willet’s folky, blues infused singing. This brighter, formulaic sound coupled with the driven delivery and at times disconsolate subject matter and lyrical style garnered a certain amount of [...]
Telekinesis seems at times to be the name of a body of work, rather than a band. In fact, it is really a nom de plume for multi-instrumentalist Michael Benjamin Lerner, who has been the mastermind of the band, and has cycled his supporting musicians in and out. But despite the seemingly constant turnover of [...]
- DJ Blog: This Day In Music History – R.E.M. November 17, 2011
- WPGU Presents: The Great Cover Up :Day 1: January 15, 2012
- Joe Pug pierces the soul in “The Great Despiser” May 4, 2012
- Alternative Election Day November 6, 2012
- Childish Gambino’s Camp November 10, 2011
- Vampire Weekend – Modern Vampires of the City (Review) May 14, 2013
- Foxygen – No Destruction (Video) May 10, 2013
- WPGU’s Summer Playlist May 10, 2013
- The National – Sea Of Love (Video) May 8, 2013
- Smith Westerns – Varisty (Video) May 8, 2013
- David Christians: "the same National that we have come to know and ...
- Townie: Yes, Yes, Yes wasn't their first effort... rememb...
- Carte R4 3DS: I am so grateful for your post.Thanks Again....
- Linda Richardson: You Rock Joe!...
- Recap: The Great Cover Up 2013 - Pizza.fm: [...] **Note: This recap only covers Days 2-4. If ...